Mapei Mapecem – Hydraulic binder for shrinkage compensated screeds
Mapei Mapecem – Hydraulic binder for shrinkage compensated screeds. Mapecem is a special hydraulic binder, which, when mixed with graded aggregates and water, has the extraordinary capacity to harden in just a few hours and to dry perfectly at whatever thickness within 24 hours (residual moisture less than 2% by weight). Because of these characteristics and the very high mechanical strength, Mapecem is the ideal binder for screeds onto which resilient, textile, wood, ceramic or stone floorings must be installed within 24 hours only.
Mapei Mapecem Uses
Preparation of both floating and bonded screeds on existing and new slabs for the installation of wood, PVC, linoleum, ceramic tiles, carpeting or any other flooring where fast-drying is required for minimum downtime.
Some application examples of Mapei Mapecem – Hydraulic binder for shrinkage compensated screeds
- Preparation of screeds set to light foot traffic after 2-3 hours and perfectly dry after 24 hours, for the installation of parquet and resilient flooring.
- Preparation of screeds ready to receive ceramic tiles and natural stone after only 3-4 hours.
- Patching and repairing screeds in areas subject to continuous traffic (supermarkets, hospital, airports, etc.)
- Preparation of screeds incorporating underfloor heating systems.
- Do not use Mapecem on substrates subject to rising damp (lay a waterproofing membrane first).
- Do not use Mapecem mixed with other cements, lime, gypsum, etc.
- Do not leave Mapecem dry-mixed with aggregates (quickly add the right quantity of water and use immediately).
- Do not mix Mapecem only with fine sand (use aggregates graded from 0 to 8 mm or Gravel 0-8 for thicknesses of max 8-9 cm).
- Do not mix Mapecem with an insufficient quantity of water (this will cause partial hydration and compromise its mechanical strength).
- Do not leave Mapecem mix in the mixer for more than 3-4 minutes.
- Do not mix Mapecem with an excessive quantity of water (drying time will be lengthened).
- Since Mapecem screeds are very compact, absorption of the water contained in water dispersion adhesives is slow: it is therefore recommended to use Lignobond, Ultrabond P990 1K or Ultrabond P902 2K (polyurethane adhesives) for installing parquet floors that are particularly sensitive to moisture.
- Do not add water to a prepared mix and do not remix Mapecem after it has started to set.
- Do not wet the surface of a screed laid with Mapecem.
- Do not mix in batching plants and do not transport the mixture by cement mixer lorry: the setting time of Mapecem is too short!
Not quite what you’re looking for? Click here to browse more of our Mapei range.
Want to see how Mapei Mapecem and other Mapei products have been used? Click here to view a range of Mapei Projects.